Missing in FARS

Ashley Turton, former Hill aide, dead in burning car

The wife of a key White House aide was found dead early Monday in a sport-utility vehicle that was heavily damaged by fire in the garage of the couple’s Capitol Hill home, sources familiar with the incident said. The cause of her death is uncertain.

Ashley W. Turton, 37, an energy company lobbyist and former chief of staff to U.S. Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.), was found dead shortly before 5 a.m. in a burning BMW, the back end of which was partly out of the garage, as if the vehicle had been entering or leaving when the fire started, authorities said.

NHTSA needs more reliable fire crash data

Automotive News

December 20, 2010

It’s a tragic story: Cassidy Jarmon, a 4-year-old Texas girl, died from burns in 2006 after the 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee being driven by her mother was hit from behind by a car and burst into flames. Yet the accident never showed up in the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s database as a fiery crash.

Jeep probe casts doubt on NHTSA data

Safety group says feds’ system misses many fiery crashes
Neil Roland
Automotive News | December 13, 2010 – 12:01 am EST

WASHINGTON — The federal safety investigation of 1993-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokees is flawed by gaps in data collection that may hamper all U.S. probes of deadly fire crashes, a consumer group says.

The Center for Auto Safety, whose research spurred the ongoing Jeep Grand Cherokee inquiry, says government fire-crash data on which many investigations are based often are incomplete and unreliable.

Raleigh death draws attention to carbon monoxide poisoning

A woman died Sunday and her husband was in an area hospital Monday after police say someone accidentally left a vehicle running in the closed garage at their Raleigh home.

A relative found Sarah Fernside Tanner, 64, of 2602 Askew Drive, dead inside the home from carbon monoxide fumes, police said.

James Mahan Tanner Jr., 64, was taken to Duke University Hospital in Durham for treatment. He was in intensive care Monday afternoon.

Toyota sued in carbon monoxide tragedy that killed 79-year-old lawyer

The keyless feature on a Lexus sedan may be a nifty selling point, but a new lawsuit claims it’s also a killer.

The ignition system is being blamed for a Queens carbon monoxide poisoning case that left a 79-year-old lawyer dead and his female companion brain-damaged.


Center for Auto Safety
4400 Jenifer St, NW
Suite 331
Washington, DC 20015-2113

Join our Email List